Episode 43: Personal Space
In part 1 of our 2-part-series on the theology of the body, we talk about personal space, and how we teach our children about respecting their bodies and our bodies too.
Topic of the Week:
- Theology of Personal Space
- I am not a chair
- God created us with bodies and called them good.
- Our bodies as a temple and how we can use that for affection but that can get unhealthy in a bunch of different kinds of ways
- Exclusion & Embrace
- What Does Affection Look Like as Kids Grow?
- Think about it for both sexes of kids
- Also think about it for different ages. When does kissing on the lips get weird?
- Realization: we can still be super affectionate dads while maintaining boundaries over our body
Kid Body Consent
- Adult Manipulation
- It’s’ our role to give our kids the space to say no, even when church members can be pushy
- Modeling to Our Kids
- If we model guilt when someone else lays claim to our bodies, we set our kids up to feel guilty when somebody else wants to lay claim to their bodies
Wins & Fails
Manderson: Busy week, our family has not been home once this week for dinner. Has led to some serious freak outs and emotional outbursts.
Bevil: Lazy Nighttime
Stout: Spring break strawberry picking. “When I grow up, I’m going to tell MY kids they have to brush every time they eat.”
The guys discuss their favorite 'Middle of the Blockbuster' movies.